Wednesday, September 30, 2009

21st Century Skills - What D&D class is public education?

Okay, you can say it after you finish reading my posting; I am a dork. The first thing that came to mind when I was browsing around on the 21st Century Skills website was that I wish life were a little more like Dungeons and Dragons. I wish that we could just assign a certain number of skills points to different areas in our lives and be automatically given the ability to use those skills. Now, real D&D buffs would tell you that that isn't how it works. There are elaborate stories of how you got those skills and time was spent by your character perfecting the action that those points allowed him/her/it to get. For people like me, I like the short version. I spent my skill points and got the skills without any real work. I think that many of our students are more like me.

When looking over the skills, the framework definitions, for the first time, I found myself a little surprised by how many there were. I found it interesting that technology skills were not listed as a category until the fifth page of the document. I was also a little surprised to see that many of the skills our students will need according to this document do not show up anywhere on the standardized test for my state. Of course, my state, Colorado, isn't listed as a 21st Century Learning partner.

So, what does that mean?

The simple answer is that I have questions.

I don't disagree with anything on their site (although to be honest I haven't read all of the fine print on every page), but I do wonder if some of the higher level decision makers in my state do. I know that Colorado is rewriting the standards that we have so that they are inclusive of this model, but I don't know what that means for me yet. I wonder about those support systems that are described, because I haven't seen them all be supported yet. I wonder how long it will take for people to stop looking at me like I am a dork when I talk about needing to change the way we do business. I wonder who is going to help me incorporate these teaching methods into my classroom.

The implications are huge for my students if I don't include these methods and thoughts into my classroom. Although no written record of this quote can be tied to Robert Kennedy, I believe his words are the perfect sentiment for this time in education, "If not us, who? If not now, when?" I will continue to beg forgiveness for teaching my students in ways that I think will prepare them. I will continue to beg forgiveness for preparing them for a life where they will be able to collaborate and think. I will beg forgiveness for preparing them for a life where they can use the new literacy skills as well as the old. I guess I will have to beg forgiveness for thinking that there is more to a student's life than a test score that measures their ability to answer standard questions rather than difficult ones.

I think that most of our students are like me, if I can get the skills without the effort then why should I put in that effort? If I could pass a state test and that's all I really had to do, then why would I want to think deeply and internalize the information I was presented? Oh wait, if I didn't even have to pass the state test in the first place because I wasn't penalized personally for it, what would make me want to come to school?

The answer for me, is that I would want to come to school if school was all the things they talk about on the 21st Century Skills website. So, regardless of what others might say right now, I will continue to engage in these behaviors in my classroom. I will roll the dice and try new ways of engaging my students in the process of learning. Who knows? I might even convince them that there is some value in using those skill points they have to prepare for their future.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great point you make in the second to last paragraph. I have these discussions all the time with my 6th grade students. They are getting to that age where they think it is stupid to be at school and they don't understand why they have to learn the same things over and over again. I was dumbfounded one day when they said, "Mrs. Paisley, we learned this last year and the year before and the year before. When are we going to learn something that actually applies to our lives." Wow! This 21st Century Skills site can bring new life into the classroom. There is value to these skills. They will use these skills. So while teaching the STANDARDS that we have to teach every year, we can add in an element of variety and teach them some skills that they will need for the future workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your line of thinking on state testing. I agree that if we only expect basic skills from our students, then that is likely all we will get. Like you, I admit to at times not giving it my all in my education, because that is not what was expected from me. So much energy (and days of testing) is spent on teaching the basics that educators have little time and energy left for teaching higher order thinking and problem solving skills. I agree with you, high standards should be expected and we would therefore be more likely to get better results from our students. This seems reasonable to me, but not all believe this line of thinking. I do not know why.

    ReplyDelete