Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reflecting on PLNs and EDU 6714


Photo courtesy of geox.

I am only one man. This seems like an obvious statement to make, but I think that many times I forget that statement and take on more than I should. I think most educators do. That is why developing a personal learning network (PLN) is so important these days. With so many resources out there, it is important to think about how to leverage our professional relationships in order to develop networks of resources. That is one of my takeaways from EDUC 6714.

Throughout the course my fellow students and I brought together our combined efforts in a “differentiation station”, a library of resources on differentiation in the classroom. We tackled a major topic in education and the combined effort led to a much broader range of resources than any of us would have been able to develop independently. This differentiation station has provided me with a number of high-quality, practical resources to explore and share with my colleagues.

Photo courtesy of mzacha.
Each of these resources helps provide a window into how to make Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Differentiated Instruction (DI) a cornerstone of tier one instruction in the classroom instead of an unmanageable mandate from a power on high. With access to resources like those found in our differentiation station, each of us is a more formidable force in the classroom, assuming that we use the resources. This kind of instruction is research based (CAST, nd) and is what is best for all students (Laureate, 2009), but often times feels overwhelming to the classroom teacher. Resources that make the process easier by providing tools, by providing research, or by providing examples all make this an easier process to engage in on behalf of our students.

I was already engaged with many tools in the classroom that provided students with a variety of choice, so this has only helped to clarify some of the additional options and expand on the research for allowing variety in my classroom. The biggest take away for me was the power of creating and maintaining a network of professionals that are committed to bolstering each other’s professional practice. As we move forward I plan to continue developing my PLN through resources like Twitter, Google Groups, Facebook, LinkedIn, Diigo, Blogs, Wikis, and Nings so that I can stay involved with resource sharing and the exploration of new frontiers. Even though I am only one man, I can be an integral part of a group and can benefit by giving and receiving the gift of knowledge.

References

CAST: Center for Applied Special Technology. (n.d.). CAST: Center for Applied Special Technology. Retrieved October 3, 2010, from http://www.cast.org/

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore: Author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment