Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Forked!


I find myself at a fork in the road. Everything was going according to plan. I was planning. I was researching. I was learning new tools. I was creating professional development videos for my district on technology tools and ideas for implementation. And then...I got a phone call. That phone call led to a meeting with another teacher from my district who is involved with global communication, partnerships, and collaborative learning. 
Now, I find myself in an interesting position. I could go forward with what I had been planning. I could purchase a classroom with Taking It Global, make my own connections, and create my own plans from scratch. Or, I could learn how to use a Ning, take advantage of my district’s resources, and help roll out a program of social change that could be influential in the entire district. Of course, the details are a little sketchy about exactly what it would look like. It is interesting to note that Taking It Global is a partner in the program that my district is looking at rolling out though.

So where does that leave me? I feel like most teachers who implement PBL. I am a little worried about the planning and implementation (Ertmer & Simmons, 2006) of a program with such a public face and such large management issues. I am not sure if it would be better to continue down my own track or to take of advantage of resources that will be available (if the money comes through). If it doesn’t come through, then I am not sure what that means. Does that mean I am back at the point I am at right now? Or would the connections to the State Department be enough to assure some level of support regardless of district financing? 
I am not sure. I think I am going to change my plan though. I can still use the kinds of resources I have already been planning on rolling out a number of tools, and the assessments for those parts would not change. It is just the actual distance learning piece that might be different, but at the very least I have a connection with someone in my district who has actually been to some of the countries I would like to offer my students as collaborative partners. 
In the end though, it is about what I am willing to put out there for my students. If I am going to have to develop something from scratch, I would rather do it with someone than without someone. I need to be able to reach out and go through the same process I want my students to go through. I have identified my problem, I have begun to research the problem in order to clarify it, I have realized the need to be collaborative as I approach a solution to the problem,   and now I am beginning to formulate a solution to my problem with the help of others. These are the steps of PBL (Laureate, 2009). That is the crux of the matter, if we are to really engage our students in problem based learning, we have to be willing to put ourselves in the uncomfortable spot of defining a problem and attacking it in the same way we want our students to...even if that means we get forked sometimes. 

Resources

Ertmer, P., & Simons, K. (Spring 2006). Jumping the PBL implementation hurdle: Supporting the efforts of K-12 teachers. The Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 1(1), 40-54. Retrieved fromhttp://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=ijpbl.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore: Author.

6 comments:

  1. Sean,

    I think some of the best lessons and activities we do are those that just sneak up on us. Not to get all philosophical, but I like to think that things happen for a reason. You have been handed a wondeful opportunity. And just because you change your plan now doesn't mean that you can't revisit it later. Who knows? You might have even more insight into the process later on and it could be even better than you hoped for to begin with! I know you've got a tough decision ahead of you, but don't be afraid. The more I get to "know" you, the more I'm sure you'd be a great asset to your colleagues and district with this project.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean-

    I agree with Erin as well. Additionally, you could put all of this work into your project and have your district come in and tell you that you are working outside of the district's safety net. They could shut you down and you would be back at ground zero anyway.

    This opportunity is district sponsored so you will not have to worry if you may get shut down for safety. They will be watching from the beginning and providing support, at least I hope they are providing support. Moreover, you will have at least one other teacher to collaborate with. There is comfort in knowing that you have at least one kindred spirit out there who is sharing the same burden as you.

    I also agree with Erin in her assessment of you as a resource. We have had several classes together and I have always been impressed with your energy and desire to provide authentic learning experiences for your students. Your school and district are very fortunate to have such a talented and dedicated teacher. I know we are in different worlds, high school and elementary, but if you ever come up with something connected to Alaska I would love to find a way to help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean,
    Sometimes we have to roll with what life hands us, make lemonade out of lemons, right?
    I think that you are doing the right thing, go with the district and make the best out of it, it sounds like you have a great opportunity and who knows you should be able to incorporate many of the new tools that you have learned about and ideas as well.
    Keep up the good work and continue reflecting on what is best for the students and yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean,

    I would say to do what is most comfortable for you. After all, you are the one teaching the students. It sound slike you will be learning how to use both of these tools at some point in the future anyway. The beauty of choices. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate them.

    @Margaret, I would love to do some kind of crossover. I wish we would have been connected last year because I taught Into the Wild and we spent time researching Denali National Park and the living conditions in Alaska. I have other people in my department who will be teaching that book in the coming years, would you be interested in collaborating with them/me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean-

    I would love to do something, let me know and we will figure out how it fits together.

    ReplyDelete